- 2 cups warm water (105° to 110°)
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
- 6 1/2 cups bread flour*
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Kosher salt (for sprinkling)
- Poaching Liquid
- 3 quarts water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Add water, sugar, oil, and yeast to the bowl of an electric mixer. Let stand for five minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add salt and flour. Knead with the dough hook for 5 to 7 minutes, adding up to a half cup more flour if needed, the dough will be smooth and slightly sticky.
- Turn out onto a floured board and divide into 24 pieces. Shape into 24 balls and place on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Gently cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Make the poaching liquid by bringing water to a rolling boil. Add baking soda. Gently drop dough balls into the water in batches, cooking for one minute per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and gently pat dry on paper towels. The dough will be dimpled and lose some of its shape.
- Place on baking sheet, cut a criss cross shape on the top of each roll. Sprinkle generously with kosher salt.
- Bake rolls for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.