- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Basic Butter Cream Frosting
- Red, blue and brown food colorings (gel paste preferred)
- Red peanut butter chocolate candies, such as M&Ms
- 30 White chocolate peanut butter cups
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream shortening, butter, and sugars together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Add in peanut butter and mix until smooth.
- Stir in flour mixture. Stir in white chocolate chips.
- Scoop dough with a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop onto prepared sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass. (Dip bottom of glass in flour if dough is sticking.)
- Bake for 13 minutes, or until cookies are golden and baked through. Let them rest on cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will look poufy out of the oven and deflate as they cool.
Make butter cream:
- Make the buttercream icing.
- Divide into three bowls and color brown, red and blue. (You will have extra.)
- Apply some buttercream (any color) to top of peanut butter cup and place face down onto cookie (so that bottom the cup is face up).
- Fit three piping bags with #2 or #3 plain tips and fill with tinted buttercream.
- For ornaments, pipe a top and hook with brown frosting. Pipe a zig-zag across the front of each ornament.
- For carolers, use a bit of buttercream to attach peanut butter chocolate candies to the side of each peanut butter cup for earmuffs. Add a curved line of brown frosting for a headband. Pipe a curlicue of hair in brown. Add two eyes in blue frosting and a smile in red.
- For reindeer, use a bit of buttercream to attach a peanut butter chocolate candy for nose. Pipe eyes and antlers with brown frosting.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bakeat350.