- 1 1/2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound (16-20) jumbo gulf shrimp, in shell and deveined
- 1 red onion, peeled and sectioned
- 10 to 12 bamboo skewers
- In a large bowl, mix to combine paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper. Add shrimp to spices and toss to coat. Cover with food-grade plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for up to 1 hour.
- Preheat gas grill to medium-high or light a charcoal grill. Submerge bamboo skewers in water for at least 10 minutes prior to grilling.
- Using two skewers at a time for easier handling, spear shrimp on both skewers. Next, skewer an onion slice and then a shrimp and continue in that pattern. Repeat with remaining bamboo skewers.
- Place shrimp kebabs on the grill for 3 minutes a side until shrimp are bright pink and opaque. Serve hot and remove shell before eating.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Meredith Steele @InSockMonkeySlippers.