- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk corn starch and 1/2 cup milk together until smooth.
- Whisk remaining milk, split vanilla pod and seeds, salt, and sugar together in a medium saucepan. Whisk in corn starch mixture. Heat on low until warmed, remove from heat, then cover and let steep up to 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks. Add in approximately 1 cup of warmed milk. Whisk well. Pour egg mixture back into pan with warmed milk. Whisk to combine.
- Return saucepan to burner over medium heat. Stir constantly on entire surface of pan with a silicone spatula. Heat until an inserted thermometer reads 183°F. (Heating above 185°F will make mixture curdle and would require starting process over!)
- Strain mixture into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve. Whisk in cream and vanilla extract. Discard vanilla pod and any solids.
- In a larger bowl, prepare an ice bath by filling about 1/4 full with water and ice. Place bowl of custard into ice bath bowl and let sit, stirring occasionally until cooled.
- Remove custard bowl from ice bath, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. Mixture will be soft once finished. Freeze in a freezer-safe container with plastic wrap pressed on top to harden to a scoopable consistency. Once hardened, let sit out 5 minutes or so before scooping.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.