- 5 medium sized apples
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 can (14oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- Colored sprinkles
- Chopped nuts
- Chocolate candies
- Dip each apple into boiling water for 30 seconds to remove the wax-like coating. Let cool thoroughly before starting.
- With a small cookie scooper, scoop out 1-inch balls from the apple. Arrange apple balls on a baking sheet and stick a toothpick into each apple.
- Prepare for dipping by arranging toppings in small bowls. You will need to work quickly once you start dipping, so that caramel does not harden.
- To make caramel: In a large saucepan mix together butter, brown sugar, sweetened condensed milk and corn syrup. Stirring frequently, heat mixture to 246°F. If you do not have a thermometer, drop a small amount of caramel into a bowl of cold water. If it forms a soft ball it is done. Remove caramel from the heat, and stir in vanilla extract. Let caramel cool for 3-5 minutes before dipping apples.
- Dip each apple into caramel. Gently tap toothpick on side of pan, and spin to remove the excess caramel. Dip mini caramel apple in desired toppings. Place on baking sheet to cool. Allow caramel to cool completely before serving.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.