- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup blackberry jam
- 4 egg whites, beaten
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream shortening and sugar together until light. Add beaten egg yolks and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly blended.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternatively with buttermilk. Stir in blackberry jam. Fold in egg whites, beaten.
- Pour batter into a 10-inch angel food or tube pan which has been lined on bottom with waxed paper and greased. Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes. Increase heat to 350°F and continue baking for about 45 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out dry and free of batter.
- Set pan on wire rack and allow cake to cool 20 minutes before removing from pan.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe originally published in the "Romantic Recipes of the Old South and Great Southwest", cira 1950.