- 14 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Sea salt flakes, to top, if desired
- Prepare an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper with the edges of the parchment hanging over two of the sides. This allows for easy removal once caramels have cooled.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, such as enameled cast iron, combine all caramel topping ingredients except for the extract. Bring to a boil and stir until sugars are dissolved and the mixture is well combined. Using a candy thermometer, watch for 230°F. Allow to boil at this temp for several minutes, until candy begins to climb over 235°F. Stir continuously. Remove from heat and stir in the extract. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then pour onto prepared parchment. Sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Once chilled, cut into pieces and wrap in wax paper or parchment squares.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.