- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup well packed Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and all spices twice and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix on medium speed butter until light and fluffy, add brown sugar and mix well. Add egg and combine well. Scrape the bowl.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Place dough in refrigerator overnight or at least 2 hours to chill.
- Tip on rolling the dough: These types of cookies are always best when rolled on a lightly floured surface. Using not properly chilled dough or working in a warm kitchen can make things difficult. Pre-chilling your work surface is easily done by placing a couple of cookie sheets filled with ice on the area where you will be rolling the dough. Wood is an excellent surface to roll all types of dough..
- Remove about half of the dough and roll on a floured cool work surface or on a lightly floured kitchen towel, roll the dough 4 stacked credit cards thick (about 1/8 inch).
- Cut using a round cutter of approximately 2.5 inches in diameter.
- Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. If desired, grind a little extra black pepper on each cookie and place in the preheated oven.
- The cookies will slowly rise and then collapse; once they have collapsed they are close to being done. Pressed lightly with a finger they should spring back.
- Allow to cool. If they are not crisp enough when cool, return to the oven for a few more minutes.
- For the ice cream: Combine milk with sugar and return to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to ensure that the sugar will fully dissolve. Add the remaining ice cream ingredients and churn according to the ice cream maker directions.
- Scoop ice cream and sandwich with cookies.