*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment mix 2 cups of flour and yeast.
- In another bowl, mix together milk, pumpkin, butter, brown sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour into flour mixture. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes.
- Switch dough hook and add 2 more cups of flour. Knead on medium until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down and turn out onto floured surface. Divide dough into 16 pieces. Roll into ball shapes. Using a knife, cut 8 slices into side of dough. Transfer to two parchment lined baking sheets. Break pretzels in half and insert one half into center of dough. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until rolls are golden and make a hollow sound when tapped. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired, tint royal icing green and add to a piping bag fitted with a small round tip. Draw vines and leaves on top of rolls.