- 1-2 refrigerated pie crusts or Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 6 medium pears, assorted varieties
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-2 star anise, ground
- 2 cloves, ground
- 6 peppercorns, ground
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Caramel Sauce, as desired
- Caramel Sauce
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place pie crust in pie pan and par-bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven.
- While crust is baking, peel and dice pears into 3/4-inch cubes. Toss in a bowl with cinnamon, star anise, cloves, pepper, sugar and salt. Allow to macerate for 15 minutes.
- Strain juice from pears and bring to a boil in a small sauce pot. Whisk in cornstarch and water and return to a boil. Boil for one minute; remove from heat and add back into the pears.
- Pour prepared pears into par-baked crust and return to oven for 20 minutes. If you choose to do a lattice crust, add it at this time.
- Cool pie on wire rack or serve warm with caramel sauce.
- Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium low heat. Cook to 380°F, or until a dark amber color. Add cream, butter and salt, taking caution as mixture will bubble and steam can burn your skin. Stir vigorously until well combined. Remove from heat and serve immediately or store in refrigerator for one month.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.