- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 3 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate bits
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon best quality instant coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt butter and chocolate bits in heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Sift cocoa, measure and sift again into saucepan. Mix well.
- Stir in instant coffee, cinnamon, and corn syrup.
- Slowly and gradually whisk in cream.
- Bring mixture a boil, immediately reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, scraping sauce down off sides of pan with a rubber spatula.
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and pour into sterilized jar.
- Let cool to room temperature before covering with a tightly fitting lid and storing in the refrigerator.
This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks and is best when reheated using a double boiler.
This recipe was originally published in the 1987 Vol VII No. 4 of Homemade Good News-A culinary publication from Dixie Crystals Sugar.