- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup red sprinkles
- black gel food coloring
- green gel food coloring
- blue gel food coloring
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- orange gel food coloring
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies
- 12 mini chocolate sandwich cookies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a jelly roll (15 ½-inch by 10 ½-inch) pan with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together; butter, sugar, and vanilla in a stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time until well incorporated, scraping as needed.
- Add 1/3 dry ingredients, when incorporated, add half of milk. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Scrape bottom of bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Divide batter in half. Cover half with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Divide other half of batter into three bowls. Add sprinkles to first bowl and stir to combine. Tint a second bowl green and third bowl of batter black.
- Pour red sprinkle batter into half of sheet pan. Pour green into one corner of pan and black into other. Spread evenly as possible, being careful to not mix colors.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely, turn out and remove parchment paper. Freeze cake for 15 minutes.
- Cut out red sprinkle sections of cake with a 2-inch round cookie cutter. Cut out green sections with a 1-inch cookie cutter, and black sections with a 1/2-inch cookie cutter. Cut as many circles as will fit. Freeze all pieces for 15 minutes.
- Cut a 1-inch hole out of center of a red sprinkle cake round. Place a 1-inch green cake round inside the red sprinkle cake round, then cut out 1/2-inch center of a green round and place a 1/2-inch black cake round inside.
- Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Spray a bundt cake pan generously with baking spray. Let reserved cake batter sit on counter for 20 minutes. Tint with blue gel.
- Spread 1/4 of cake batter into bottom of pan. Stand eyes up into batter and arrange in a circle. Carefully pour the rest of the batter over the eyes, making sure to get batter around cut outs.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make buttercream cream frosting, cream butter until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Gradually add half powdered sugar. Add vanilla and a pinch of salt. Add remaining sugar and beat for 5 minutes.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake. Open chocolate sandwich cookies and press two frosting sides out into sides of cake, place mini cookies onto frosting side for eyeballs.
This cake seems like it would be difficult to put together, but it is actually very simple. It takes a little while, but all of the steps are easy. Using a firmer cake and freezing the cake before cutting makes cleaner cuts and sharper lines when you put it all together.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bree Hester @bakedbree.com