German Chocolate Cheesecake
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate graham crackers
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips, at least 55% cacao
German Chocolate Cake Frosting
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make crust: Crush graham crackers with a rolling pin to obtain 1 1/4 cups. Add melted butter and combine well. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter springform pan and place in oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place springform pan on 2 layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan tightly with foil. Ensure that no water can penetrate foil. Place in a roasting pan and set aside.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar on lowest speed; alternatively, mix by using a handheld spatula until no lumps remain. Scrape bowl well. Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and mixture shows no lumps. Scrape bowl and beater between additions.
- Add sour cream and vanilla. Mix well and then set aside.
- Place chocolate in a bowl over very low simmering water and stir until just melted. Add chocolate to cream cheese mixture, mix well and pour batter into springform pan.
- Pour water into roasting pan about one inch high and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake no longer trembles when tapping sides of pan, about 90 minutes but it could take up to 2 hours depending on temperature of cheesecake batter.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Prepare frosting by whisking evaporated milk, sugar, butter, yolks, and salt in a small saucepan over low heat until it is slightly less thin than mayonnaise and or mixture reaches 200°F. Do not boil. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, pecans, and coconut and combine well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Run a sharp knife around edge and bottom of cheesecake and transfer to a serving platter.
- Spread German chocolate cake frosting on surface of cheesecake and serve.