Chocolate Cookie Bars
- 1 package (16.5 oz.) German chocolate cake mix
- 1 package (3.9 oz.) instant chocolate pudding
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces German baking chocolate, chopped
German Chocolate Frosting
- 10 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 ounces baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut or vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients, except chopped chocolate, into a medium bowl and combine. Add chopped chocolate and mix. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Prepare frosting while cookie bars cool in pan.
- In medium saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar, yolks, butter, and salt on medium heat. Whisk constantly for 20 minutes, until mixture becomes thick and bubbly.
- Pour mixture through sieve into bowl of stand mixer and beat, with paddle attachment, for 5 minutes. Add vanilla, coconut, and pecans and beat until mixture has cooled to room temperature. Spread evenly onto cookie bars and refrigerate minimum 30 minutes to set.
- Heat chocolate according to package directions. Add in oil and mix. Pipe chocolate onto cut cookie bar squares before serving.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Terri Truscello Miller @LoveandConfections.