Don't let these cute little pumpkin treats fool you! The sweet gumdrops are covered with a sour coating like Sour Patch Kids® candy. These pumpkin gummies pack a punch of flavor and are a cute treat for a Fall school party or for a gift for a loved one or teacher.
You can either use pumpkin molds or pumpkin cookie cutters for this recipe. Just mix together ingredients, let the mixture sit overnight, remove from molds or cut with cookie cutters, coat with sour mixture and let them sit for a day to set.
These Sweet and Sour Gummy Pumpkins would be adorable as a fall teacher gift, or as a fun party treat or favor. Serve them to kids of all ages for a delicious treat during the Thanksgiving holidays. The sour-sweet taste of these treats keep you going back for more!
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon zest of citrus fruit of choice (finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons powdered gelatin
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Food coloring to match flavor
- Sweet n Sour Coating
- 4 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons citric acid
- Lightly spray cooking oil on pumpkin molds and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine juice and zest and allow to rest for 5 or so minutes to soften up the zest and release its flavorful oils.
- Sprinkle gelatin over the juice mixture, stir until completely combined then set aside.
- In a medium pot, combine water, sugar and salt and stir while bringing to a boil. Stop stirring when it begins to boil and keep it at a boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour sugar mixture over the gelatin mixture and stir until it is smooth and all gelatin has dissolved.
- Pour mixture into the mini pumpkin molds. (If you don't have a pumpkin mold, line an 8 x 8 inch pan with tinfoil and very lightly oil. Pour mixture into prepared pan.) Let the mixture sit overnight.
- When ready to prepare, mix sugar and citric acid in a bowl.
- Remove pumpkin gumdrops from mold (or if using a pan, take pumpkin shaped fondant cutters and cut out shapes). Coat each pumpkin gummy with sugar and citric acid mixture. Once coated, let the pumpkin gummies set for a day or so to really form a firm sour crust.
- Serve as a fun dessert or snack, or wrap in cellophane, tie with ribbon and use one of our free printable Thanksgiving gift tags for a gift.
- Can be stored at room temperature.