- 2 (7 oz) bags unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons, divided Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 extra large egg whites, room temperature
- 6 oz chocolate almond bark, for garnish
- Whole and sliced almonds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line sheet trays with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine coconut, chopped almonds, sweetened condensed milk, almond extract, and 2/3 cup sugar.
- In small bowl, whip egg whites, adding remaining sugar slowly, until medium stiff peaks. Fold into coconut mixture.
- Using a large cookie scoop, portion out macaroons, packing them tightly before placing onto cookie sheets. Bake one tray at a time for 20-22 minutes, turning halfway. Cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes then move to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions. Dip cooled macaroons into chocolate and place on wax paper to set. Before placing on wax paper, dip some macaroons immediately into chopped, sliced almonds. Using a piping bag or parchment cone, drizzle melted chocolate over the top of macaroons. Place whole almonds or sprinkle chopped sliced almonds on top for garnish.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed by Terri Truscello Miller @LoveandConfections.