- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, or peanuts)
- 1 cup jam or jelly of choice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and brown sugar. Add egg yolks and beat until light. Blend in flour, vanilla, and salt.
- Chill dough for 2 hours.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Set aside.
- Form dough into walnut-size rounds. Dip in slightly beaten egg white, then roll in chopped nuts.
- Place on a greased parchment-lined cookie sheet and make a depression in center of each cookie.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and carefully press centers down again.
- Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Let cool 10-20 minutes, and then fill centers with your favorite jam.