- Doubled recipe Classic Yellow Vanilla Cake
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup evaporated milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- As needed: green gel food color
- White fondant (optional)
- Black fondant (optional)
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- Large candy eyes (optional)
- Black sprinkles (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Prepare 4 cake layers and allow to cool completely.
- Prepare ganache and set aside.
- Preferably in a stand mixer, cream soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy and mixed at least 3 minutes.
- Add salt and gradually add evaporated milk in 2-3 tablespoon amounts, mixing at least a full minute before adding more milk. Add vanilla extract.
- If at any time the butter cream appears heavy or slightly curdling, slightly warm the butter cream with a blow dryer and mixing it fast. Add green food coloring.
- Place a cake layer on a serving plate and remove parchment. Spread a thin layer of butter cream onto the cake layer. Top with another cake layer and repeat procedure with remaining cake layers.
- Frost cake with a “crumb layer”, basically spreading a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake trapping any cake crumbs.
- Place cake in refrigerator for about 30 minutes or until the “crumb” frosting layer is firm.
- Using a small round cutter, cut 2 circles in white fondant. Using a smaller cutter, cut 2 circles in black fondant. Place dark circles on top of white circles for Frankenstein eyes. You can also use large candy eyes instead.
- Spread another and final frosting layer onto cake.
- Place eyes onto cake.
- Ensure that ganache has cooled and has firmed to the consistency of chilled mayonnaise.
- Place ganache in a piping bag fitted with a small leaf piping tip. Pipe “hair” strands of ganache onto cake. Sprinkle with black sprinkles.
- Place some ganache in a small piping bag to create the mouth and scar.