Red Velvet Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Red food coloring
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops red food coloring
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper or spray well with non-stick spray.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and chocolate together over medium-low heat. Once melted, remove from heat and mix in sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla until well blended. Whisk in eggs until smooth. Mix in flour and baking powder until just combined. Add 1-2 drops of red food coloring. Continue until you reach your desired shade.
- Pour into prepared baking pan, reserving 1/3 cup of batter.
- In a bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Drop dollops of cream cheese mixture over the top of the batter. Using a knife, swirl cream cheese mixture into batter. Top with reserved batter and swirl again.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing to serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Erin Sellin @Dinners, Dishes & Desserts.