- 4 pounds chicken (breast, thighs or legs)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or beer
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon celery or regular salt
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Combine all the ingredients in an Instant Pot® or slow cooker. Follow Instant Pot® or slow cooker directions and simmer for 4 hours or until very tender.
- Remove chicken from liquid, but do not discard liquid. Ladle approximately 1 cup of liquid in a saucepan and bring to a full boil until liquid has reduced at least to half.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle pull it apart in shreds using a fork and place on a cookie sheet.
- Place under preheated broiler for about 5 minutes until edges are crispy.
- Sprinkle some of the stock reduction on the chicken and return under the broiler for a few minutes.
- Use to fill burritos, tacos, tostados, or sandwiches.
This Instant Pot Chicken Carnitas recipe pairs well with our Mexican Style Pickled Vegetables.