Devil's Food Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*, preferably with 3 % protein level
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
- Optional: Dark chocolate bar (3.5 oz)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter and flour two 8- or 9-inch baking pans and set aside. (Fitting a round piece of parchment paper on bottom of baking pan is highly recommended for easy removal of cake.)
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and sugar. Sift again and set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk eggs and buttermilk until well combined. Add vegetable oil, vanilla, and salt. Whisk smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk/egg mixture and whisk smooth. Add hot coffee in 3-4 increments while whisking batter smooth in between additions.
- Divide batter evenly into pans and place in oven, bake for 40-45 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Time will also depend on whether you used an 8- or 9-inch pan and your oven.
- Remove from oven and after 5-10 minutes turn upside down on a plastic food-lined surface. Allow to cool completely before filling or frosting, about 1 hour.
- Prepare Vanilla Buttercream Frosting: With an electric mixer, whip very soft butter and sugar for at least 3 minutes. Add salt.
- Add 3 tablespoons of evaporated milk and mix for 1-2 minutes, then add another 3 tablespoons of milk and mix for another 1-2 minutes. Keep adding milk and mixing for at least 1-2 minutes in between.
- Add vanilla and keep mixing until sugar crystals are completely dissolved.
- If buttercream appears heavy or slightly curdled, place bowl over lukewarm water while whisking. In just a moment, the buttercream will become beautiful glossy and creamy. (Do not place on ice cubes as that would make frosting heavier.)
- Remove parchment paper from cake round and place it on a serving platter.
- Spread 1/3 of vanilla buttercream onto cake layer and top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread a thin coat of frosting all over cake to seal in any crumbs. Place in fridge or freezer for a few minutes until firm.
- Frost cake with remaining vanilla buttercream. Place in fridge while preparing chocolate ganache.
- Allow chocolate ganache to cool for 10 minutes. Pour over cake.
- If desired, make chocolate shavings or curls by placing a chocolate bar in a warm place (~78°F) for about 1 hour. Or alternatively, heat chocolate bar in a microwave oven for 1-2 seconds.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave chocolate bar into curls or shavings and place on cake.
- Serve cake at room temperature.