- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Candy Center
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- Gel food color (desired color)
- 1 teaspoon extract of choice (optional)
- Ribbon for hanging (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Blend well.
- Sift together flour, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture and continue to mix until combined.
- Gather dough into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for one hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll dough out onto a floured surface to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out rounds with a floured cutter. Cut out centers with small shaped cutters. Use a straw to cut a ribbon hole in the top of each cookie.
- Transfer cookies to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8 -10 minutes or until just golden around edges.
- Transfer to a rack to cool. While cookies are still warm enlarge ribbon holes if needed.
- To make the candy center, add sugar, corn syrup, and water to a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring slowly just until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil without stirring. Cover and continue to boil until mixture reaches 310°F on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat and stir in food color and extract if desired. Carefully pour hot candy into the centers of the cookies. Let cool until completely hard, about 10 minutes.
- Thread ribbon through holes and hang.
Imperial Sugar Insight
This recipe was originally published in the 1990 entertaining edition of the Homemade Good News cookbook.
Tip: Pour hot candy into a measuring cup. It makes it easier to pour into the cookie centers.