Light up the night this Halloween with spooky Jack-o-Lantern Luminaries. These plastic jar luminaries are made with our homemade sugar decoupage and would look cute displayed in your windows every night leading up to Halloween. Kids can even customize their faces to create spooky jack-o-lanterns or goofy ones.
- Edible Sugar Glue
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Imperial Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Small plastic jars
- Orange tissue paper
- Black tissue paper
- Black paint
- Sponge brush
- Battery-operated tea lights
- Mix flour, sugar, water and oil in a pot and stir over low heat until well combined and smooth in texture to make decoupage. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the orange tissue paper into small squares.
- Paint the decoupage onto the outside of the jar, then press tissue paper down onto it. Coat in decoupage to seal into place.
- Cover the entire outside of the jar (even the bottom!) in orange tissue paper, coating with decoupage to seal.
- Cut Jack-o-Lantern faces from the black tissue paper and use the decoupage to affix them to the front of your luminaries.
- Allow to dry completely.
- Paint the lids of the jars black and allow to dry completely.
- Once dry, add tea lights inside the jars and replace the lid. The luminaries will glow with flickering light and are ready to be displayed.