Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 3/4 cup (7 oz) vanilla or chocolate graham crackers
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
Pecan Caramel Sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoon coffee or orange liquor
- 3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (16 oz) container sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Chocolate ganache or sauce, optional
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make crust: Crush graham crackers in a food processor or with a rolling pin to obtain 1 3/4 cups. Add melted butter and sugar and combine well. Press onto bottom of a 9-inch diameter springform pan and place in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Place springform pan on three layers of aluminum foil and wrap outside of pan tightly with foil. Ensure that no water can penetrate through foil. Place in a roasting pan and set aside.
- To make pecan caramel sauce: In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, and salt. Bring to a boil and once boiling stir for 3-4 minutes or until caramel has slightly thickened. Add vanilla. To verify thickening, drop some on a plate and once cooled it should be the consistency of ketchup. You can always re-boil or add some heavy cream to adjust. Set aside.
- To make cheesecake: In a very small cup combine instant coffee and liquor and set aside.
- Blend cream cheese and sugar on lowest speed, alternately mix by using a handheld spatula until no lumps remain. Scrape bowl well. Add one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and mixture shows no lumps. Scrape bowl and beater between additions. Add sour cream, coffee mixture, and vanilla.
- Scrape about 1/3 of cheese mixture into pan. Spoon about 1/4 of caramel onto cheese mixture in uneven swirls.
- Cover with another 1/3 of cheese mixture and about 1/4 of caramel. Cover with remaining cheese mixture. The leftover caramel will be used after cheesecake is baked and cooled. Store caramel in refrigerator.
- Pour about 1-inch of water into roasting pan and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cheesecake no longer trembles when tapping sides of pan (about 90 minutes) but it could take up to 2 hours depending on temperature of cheesecake batter.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Run a sharp knife around edge and bottom of cheesecake and place on a serving platter.
- Reheat leftover caramel until fluid but not hot; add pecans. Spoon over cheesecake.
- If desired prepare ganache and serve with cheesecake.