- 8-10 ounces plain or butter-flavored Puffcorn (recommended: Old Dutch)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter extract/flavoring
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Pour the puff corn into two large bowls. Melt butter with brown sugar and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring frequently, until boiling. Boil for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat and immediately add the baking soda and extracts. Stir while the mixture bubbles and foams. Pour half of the mixture over each bowl of puffcorn. Use salad servers or “salad hands” to toss and coat puffcorn evenly.
- Pour all coated puffcorn onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes. Pour onto a large cutting board or clean counter top lined with waxed paper and spread into an even layer. Let cool. Break pieces apart if needed. Store in an airtight container for several days.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.