- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Maple Pecan Topping
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
- Pinch salt
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and maple syrup and mix well. Add egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add to above in one step and mix just until combined.
- Roll dough in slightly larger than tablespoon-size balls and place on parchment lined or nonstick cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Flatten gently with palm of your hand.
- Bake cookies at 350°F for 9-10 minutes or until edges are a very light golden color. Baking longer will make the cookies crisper.
- To prepare Maple Pecan Topping, bring maple syrup to a boil in a saucepan. Boil for approximately 3-4 minutes. At this time maple syrup will have thickened slightly.
- Drop some on a plate and after a minute or so or when cooled, touch with a finger to check the consistency. You can decide if you want topping soft as a semi-runny caramel or firmer. Based upon your preference reheat or proceed with next step.
- Add pecan pieces and salt and spoon topping onto cookies. Serve immediately.
- Turn the cookies with the maple topping facing inward, add ice cream, and then sandwich with another cookie for different take on an ice cream sandwich.
- For this recipe, use flour with 3g protein on nutrition facts label.