- 1 cup unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 lemons, no white bitter pith
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, optional
- Mix butter in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment until light and creamy. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. If butter was too cold, use a hair dryer to heat bowl while it is mixing.
- Add about two tablespoons of evaporated milk to creamed mixture. Keep beating and once it looks smooth again, add another couple of tablespoons. Do not rush this process! Repeat by gradually adding milk while beating well in between.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest and continue beating until incorporated. If desired add up to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. If frosting is not fluffy, heat bowl further while beating.
- Frost cupcakes or cake as desired and store at room temperature.
If evaporated milk or lemon juice was not at room temperature the mixture cannot homogenize and will take on a curdled appearance (become soupy looking). This is a sign that the mixture is still too cold. Rapidly stirring and gentle warming will emulsify the buttercream to a smooth and creamy consistency. Continue to mix while using a hair dryer on the outside of mixing bowl until perfect consistency is reached.