Raspberry Pound Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon raspberry extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pint raspberries
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. For easy removal line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or butter and flour loaf pan and set aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Mix butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg and mix batter again until it becomes light and fluffy again. Keep adding one egg at a time waiting for previously added egg to be well incorporated and batter remains fluffy. If at any time the batter becomes heavy and is no longer light, use a hair dryer to warm sides of the bowl while mixing.
- Add salt and extract.
- Alternately add flour and milk in 5 steps, starting with and ending with flour. Scrape well in between.
- Deposit one-fourth of cake batter into prepared pan.
- Retain a few raspberries for decoration (optional) and toss remaining berries in 2 tablespoons flour. Scatter some flour-coated raspberries onto batter ensuring that raspberries do not touch sides of pan.
- Repeat with cake batter and raspberries.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 65-70 minutes. If cake begins to turn too dark before it is done, cover top with a lightly buttered piece of foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Let cake cool before glazing it.
- Prepare glaze by whisking lemon juice and powdered sugar together until smooth.
- Spoon on cake and scatter surface with raspberries.