- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9X9-inch pan with parchment paper and coat lightly with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine flour and sugar. Add in cubed butter and using a pastry cutter cut it in until combined and crumbly. Then use your hands to press and squeeze mixture together.
- Press mixture into prepared pan and bake for 12-13 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly while you prepare filling.
- For filling, in a medium bowl mix together sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt using a rubber spatula until evenly combined and smooth. Add in flour and stir until just combined. Stir in walnuts, cherries, and coconut until evenly mixed.
- Spread filling on top of crust and bake for 20-25 minutes until set and lightly golden.
- Allow bars to cool completely in pan before cutting.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.