- 2 large very ripe bananas
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 1/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, must be at room temperature
Salted Caramel Frosting
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons light rum or banana liquor (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 2 nine-inch cake pans and fit a round sheet of parchment on bottom to ensure a flawless removal from pans. Set aside.
- Puree bananas in a blender and measure 1 cup. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer, mix soft shortening or butter and sugar until very well blended. Add vanilla and one egg and mix until fully incorporated and mixture becomes lighter.
- Add remaining egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add one-fourth of dry ingredients and once combined add half of banana puree. Add another one-fourth of dry ingredients and once combined add remaining banana puree. Add another one-fourth of dry ingredients followed by buttermilk and remaining dry ingredients.
- Divide batter evenly into pans and spread until surface is smooth.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger and you see cake slightly retracting from sides in a few areas. About 25-28 minutes.
- Turn baked cakes upside down onto plastic food film. Do not remove parchment paper from cakes yet.
- To prepare frosting, on low speed mix soft cream cheese with half of caramel, once blended add remaining caramel.
- Add powdered sugar and blend on low speed until combined.
- Place cake round on a serving platter and remove parchment paper.
- Spread a one-third of frosting on cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost sides and top of cake.
- Cut bananas in medium thick slices. Melt butter in a pan and add sugar. Add bananas and gently stir bananas until well coated and heated through. If desired add a touch of light rum or banana liquor. Add vanilla and remove from heat.
- Let bananas cool to prevent frosting from melting. Arrange bananas on surface.
- Bring water to a boil in microwave oven. Add chocolate and stir until melted.
- Drizzle cake with caramel and chocolate sauce.
NOTE: Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.