- 2/3 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups glutenous rice flour (Mochiko)*
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup potato starch (not potato flour) or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil (any type)
- 30 toasted peanuts
- Scoop or pipe 1 1/2 teaspoon size dollops of peanut butter on plastic food wrap and place in refrigerator.
- Prepare Mochi dough either over stove or microwave.
- Stovetop: Combine glutenous rice flour, water, sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan and place over heat source.
- Over medium heat constantly stir using a firm flat bottom wooden spatula or heat resistant spatula. Total cooking time will be approximately 6-8 minutes or until dough holds its shape and is very shiny.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile combine starch with powdered sugar and spread onto a sheet of parchment paper. Transfer dough onto prepared parchment sheet. Jump to step 9.
- Microwave method: Combine glutenous rice flour, water, sugar, and vanilla extract in a microwave oven proof bowl. Cover with plastic food film.
- Heat on medium for 2-3 minutes. Fold dough on itself to prevent hard or overcooked edges. Return to microwave for another 3 minutes. In most microwaves total cooking time will be 6-7 minutes. Dough should be cooked and feel soft and pliable.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile combine starch with powdered sugar and spread evenly onto a sheet of parchment paper. Transfer dough onto prepared parchment sheet.
- Once cool enough to handle cut into even sized pieces, about 1 1/2 tablespoons.
- Using starch to prevent sticking, press into a small circle about 1 1/2 -2 inches in diameter.
- Place chilled peanut butter in center and fold edges toward center to close confection.
- Place seam side down on a plastic food filmed lined tray.
- Combine chocolate with oil and in 8 second increments melt in a microwave oven or over a water bath.
- Drizzle mochi with chocolate and decorate with a peanut.
*Glutenous rice flour is essential for recipe success. Do not attempt with any other type of flour.