Devil’s Food Cupcakes
- 12 flat-bottom ice cream cones
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons canola or light olive oil
- 1 cup pure Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
Whipped Chocolate Ganache
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup melted melting chocolate
- 48 small pretzel sticks
- Black sugar sprinkles
- 36 mini marshmallows
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350F°. Grease a 12-cup cupcake pan. Place each ice cream cone upright in each cupcake cavity of pan.
- Place butter in a mixing bowl, and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add oil and sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add egg and egg yolk, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla and coffee.
- In a small bowl mix together hot water and cocoa powder. Add gradually to batter and beat until blended.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to batter, beating on low speed until combined after each addition.
- Fill each ice cream cone 3/4th full with batter. If you have any leftover batter, you can make additional cupcakes. Bake cupcakes for about 15 to 17 minutes or until done. Allow to cool.
- For whipped ganache, place cream in a medium saucepan, and heat until warm over medium heat.
- Place chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour warm cream over chocolate, and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Whisk until chocolate is melted. Allow ganache to cool completely at room temperature, about two hours and then refrigerate for an hour.
- Using a hand mixer, beat ganache until light and fluffy. To frost cupcakes with whipped ganache, spoon thickened ganache into a piping bag with an open star tip or a gallon zip-top freezer bag. If using a zip-top bag, snip a 1⁄2-inch tip from corner of bag. Pipe whipped ganache onto cupcakes.
- For chocolate branches, dip pretzels a few at a time in chocolate until covered. Remove with a fork and transfer to a piece of wax paper. Sprinkle black sugar sprinkles over chocolate covered pretzels. Allow to cool completely and then stick four pretzels into each frosted cupcake.
- For marshmallow webs, place marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 20-30 seconds or until puffed and melted. Allow to cool slightly and then using your fingers, grab a small amount of the marshmallows and stretch around pretzels on top of each cupcake to create webs. Serve cupcakes on a platter.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by @WhitneyMiller