- 3 cups cake flour or all-purpose flour*
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup shortening or unsalted butter
- 3 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rum extract
- 2 tablespoons butter extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9 or 10-inch tube pan and set aside.
- Sift flour and set aside.
- Mix butter and shortening until creamy, add sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated and scraping well in between additions.
- Add vanilla, rum, butter extract, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add one-fifth of flour and once combined add one-fourth of milk, continue alternating with these amounts until all blended and scraping bowl very well.
- Transfer mixture into prepared pan and bake until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean, about 110 minutes.
- Let cake cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.
If you do not have cake flour on hand, select an all-purpose flour with a lower protein content (8-9 g). A higher protein content would make the cake a little less tender.
This recipe first appeared in the Homemade Good News cookbook series, vol II, No. 2.