- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- In bowl of a stand mixer or large bowl use an electric hand mixer to combine sugar, egg whites, vanilla, and cream of tartar. Whip high for about a minute until foamy.
- Fill a medium saucepan with about 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Place mixing bowl on top of saucepan. Using a hand whisk, gently whisk mixture for about 7-10 minutes for sugar to dissolve.
- Once sugar is dissolved, return mixing bowl to standing mixer.
- Whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form; about 10 minutes.
- Fill piping bag with mixture and pipe 30 cookies onto a prepared baking tray that has been lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Pipe cookies in flatish circles, a little bigger than a tablespoon. Cookies will NOT spread, so pipe them to size you want each cookie to be.
- Preheat oven to 175°F. Once oven is preheated, place cookies into oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven and crack open oven door. Let cookies set in oven, undisturbed, for about 30 minutes.
- For filling, pour chocolate chips into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add heavy cream to small sauce pan and heat on medium-high heat. Once cream is hot (but not boiling) remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes and then stir until creamy.
- Let chocolate sit at room temperature or in fridge until firm enough to pipe into middle of cookies.
- To assemble, sort cookies into pairs based on size
- Pipe filling onto half of cookies (onto flat side).
- Sandwich together to create sandwich cookies.
- Heat remaining ganache slightly and stir. Dip sandwich cookies halfway into melted chocolate and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle chocolate with crushed candy canes.
- Let chocolate sit for 10 minutes. Store in airtight container. Do not refrigerate.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.