*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place flour in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir continuously until flour is slightly toasted; about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place shortening and granulated sugar in bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium speed until creamy.
- Sift toasted flour and add to bowl. Mix on low speed.
- Add confectioner’s sugar, cacao, and almond flour. Mix on low speed until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Scoop 1/4 cup cookie dough mixture into palm of your hands and form into a ball. On a working surface, press ball of dough down to 1/2-inch width.
- Using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out a circle. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, arranging dough discs 2 inches apart. Chill dough discs on baking sheets for 1 hour.
- While discs are cooling, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ericka Sanchez @nibblesandfeasts.