Homemade Yellow Cake
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
Banana Cream Pudding
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed + 2 bananas, sliced
- Crème Chantilly
- 1/4 cup crushed vanilla wafer cookies
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For Yellow Cake, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg yolk at a time and mix well before adding next.
- Add salt and vanilla extract.
- Add one third of flour and mix until combined.
- Add half of buttermilk and mix until smooth.
- Add another one third of flour and mix smooth. Add remaining buttermilk and once combined add remaining flour.
- Pour into a greased 2 quart pan, bake for 45-60 minutes or done. Cake is done when center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes clean. Let cake cool completely.
- When cake is cool, use end of wooden spoon and poke holes into top of cake.
- For Banana Cream Pudding, heat 3 cups milk in medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg.
- Stir in cornstarch, flour, and sugar.
- When milk is hot, stir in sugar mixture until smooth.
- Add in mashed bananas and whisk until smooth.
- Heat and whisk for 8 minutes. When pudding starts to thicken, remove from heat and pour pudding over cake.
- Place cake into fridge for 2 hours or until pudding is cold. Remove cake from fridge.
- Slice 2 bananas into coins and place banana slices on top of chilled pudding layer.
- Top with a layer of Crème Chantilly. Sprinkle top of cake with crushed vanilla wafers.
- Serve cold.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.