Yellow Cake with Lemon Curd
- 1 box (15.25 oz) yellow cake mix, plus ingredients called for on the box (oil, water, eggs). May vary by brand.
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons instant pudding mix, vanilla flavor
- Zest of one lemon, no white bitter pith
- For cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Pour cake batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Using end of a wooden spoon, poke holes evenly all over cake. Set aside.
- For lemon curd filling, in a medium saucepan with NO heat, whisk together sugar, lemon juice, and egg yolks until smooth.
- Turn heat to medium-high and stir constantly for 10 minutes until mixture begins to bubble and noticeably thicken. Remove from heat.
- Mix in butter and continue to stir until completely melted.
- Strain mixture through sieve into a jar.
- Pour lemon curd evenly over top of cake, trying to fill holes as much as possible. Cover and chill for at least an hour.
- For whipped cream, pour all ingredients into bowl of a stand mixer and whisk on high for 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Fold in zest from one lemon if desired.
- Spread whipped cream over chilled cake. Garnish with more lemon zest if desired.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Ashton Swank @keatseats.