- In a stand mixer bowl add egg yolks and 1 cup sugar. Mix until light in color and creamy.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan add milk, whipping cream, salt, and 4 tablespoons sugar. Stir to combine. Heat mixture over medium heat and cook until small bubbles appear on sides (do not bring to boil). Remove from heat.
- Gradually and slowly add egg mixture to liquid, stirring as you go. Return pan to heat and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and coats back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- Allow pan to come to room temperature OR place over an ice bath to cool it more rapidly.
- Transfer to refrigerator and allow to chill completely.
- Churn mixture according to your machine’s manufacturer’s directions. During last 5 minutes of churning slowly drizzle in hot fudge sauce and then mix in peanut butter cups.
- Transfer ice cream to a freezer-safe container and keep frozen until ready to serve.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Paula Jones @bellalimento.