- 1 cup water
- 1 cup well-packed Medjool dates (must be unsweetened type)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 Medjool dates cut in half
- 1/3 cup almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a small saucepan bring water to a boil. Remove from heat, add dates and baking soda and set aside for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, either using a stick blender or stand blender, mix water, dates, and baking soda mixture to a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9 or 10-inch springform pan well and set aside.
- Combine flour and cinnamon and sift together. Set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Scrape mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean, about 47 minutes.
- Drizzle caramel over cake and, if desired, decorate with Medjool date halves and almonds.