- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 4 ounces (1/2 of an 8 oz package) cream cheese, soft
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast (any type)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 orange (no white bitter pith)
Cinnamon Sugar Mix
- 6 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
Glaze and Finish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water or orange juice
- 3/4 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- On low speed, mix soft butter and soft cream cheese until no lumps remain.
- Add sugar and blend until combined. Add egg, yeast, vanilla, salt, and orange zest. Mix until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients in one step and mix until just combined.
- Divide dough in 2 parts and press onto plastic food wrap into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Place in freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerator overnight.
- For cinnamon sugar combine sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Dough is easiest to roll on lightly floured parchment paper as it sticks less than rolled on a counter and is easy to transfer back to refrigerator if dough gets too soft.
- Using a very small amount of flour roll first piece of chilled dough into a rectangle 8 x 14 inches. Return to freezer/refrigerator if dough gets too sticky.
- Sprinkle with half of cinnamon sugar and starting on base of 8-inch width, roll dough upwards into a cylinder. Place in freezer. Repeat with remaining dough.
- When cylinders have chilled for about 30-45 minutes turn oven to 350°F.
- Cut log into 3/16-inch slices and place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake until edges are light golden, about 12 minutes.
- Once cooled whisk powdered sugar and orange juice and brush, spread, or drizzle onto cookies.