- 1 1/2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*, plus additional to roll
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with a silpat mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Into large bowl add sugar, 3 eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Whisk together until combined.
- Into a medium size bowl mix together flour and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture. Mix until combined. Fold in nuts.
- Fold dough onto a clean workspace that is lightly dusted with flour. Dough will be sticky. Divide dough in half.
- Form each half into a log, approximately 10-12 inches. If dough is too sticky to roll, flour your hands and sprinkle dough with a little flour on top to shape.
- Press logs down with your hands so that they are somewhat flat.
- Into a small bowl place remaining egg and a tablespoon of water. Whisk to combine. Brush tops of biscotti logs with egg wash. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes or until you can pick up cookie logs without burning yourself.
- Transfer logs to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife cut logs on diagonal creating traditional biscotti shape. Return cookies to your sheet pan, place on their sides. Bake a second time for about 15 minutes.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Paula Jones @bellalimento.