- 4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/4 cups water, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons butter
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place yeast and water in machine bowl fitted with paddle attachment. Add sugar and flour. Place salt on top of flour and add egg whites.
- Mix dough on medium speed until it becomes nearly elastic, about 5 minutes. Check temperature of dough occasionally as temperature of dough cannot exceed 82°F or dough will become very sticky and unmanageable. However, keep in mind that a proper English muffin dough is on the sticky-soft side to begin with.
- Add soft butter and mix until well combined. Mix until dough is fully elastic and is about 80°F.
- Stop mixing and cover with plastic food wrap until doubled in size, about 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile line 2 cookie sheets with paper or kitchen towels and spread with an even coat of flour.
- Cut dough in 16 equal pieces and make round using as little flour as possible.
- Place on prepared towels and press dough pieces until they reach a generous 3 inches in diameter.
- Cover loosely with plastic food film and let rise until they have gained about 20% in volume, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat an electric griddle to almost medium setting.
- Lift edge of towel to gently flip muffin onto your hand and place on griddle.
- Cook each side about 8 or more minutes or until inserted thermometer registers 200°F.
Imperial Sugar Insight
NOTE: Select flour with 4 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.