Chocolate Ancho Chile Cake
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder, optional
Cinnamon Chile Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat an 8-inch round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ancho chile powder, and salt. Add water, canola, and vanilla extract, whisk until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.
- For Cinnamon Chile Whipped Cream, beat heavy cream, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and chile powder on high until foamy, gradually add powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Top cake with cinnamon chile whipped cream, garnish with additional ancho chile powder if desired.