- 2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1 large egg yolk
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Coconut Crust: Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a nonstick mini muffin pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together coconut, sugar, flour, vanilla, and egg whites until evenly combined.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of coconut mixture into each liner or cup. Press coconut mixture into bottom and up sides to form a thin crust.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned, watching carefully not to burn. Transfer pan to a wire rack.
- Lemon Filling: Reduce oven temp to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl stir together yolk, sweetened condensed milk, and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon filling into warm crusts, enough to fill cup, but not overflow. You will have a little leftover filling.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow tassies to cool in pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. If you did not use a liner, run a butter knife around sides to loosen from pan.
Imperial Sugar Insight
You can also use mini muffin liners for this recipe, but note you will need to coat these with nonstick spray as well, as coconut shell will stick.
Store airtight in refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.