Cranberry Orange Scones
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk or water
- Zest of 2 oranges (no white bitter pith)
- 1/2 cup dried or 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons concentrated orange juice or regular orange juice
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Grate butter (as you would cheese) in large holes of a grater directly onto flour mixture. Stir in sugar.
- Whisk together sour cream, milk/water, and orange zest and pour into above. Add cranberries, mix with hands, and press quickly together. Do not mix until all butter pieces have blended in. Pieces of butter are desired as they will create light and delicious scones.
- Press dough into a 12 x 3.5-inch log. Cut into triangles and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Brush with water and sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.
- Place in oven until golden, about 17-20 minutes, or until edges are browned.
- For icing whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice and drizzle onto scones.