Brown Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Light Brown Sugar or Imperial Sugar Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
Sugar Cookie Icing
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of your stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar together on medium speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Continue mixing until combined and smooth, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Turn mixer speed to low and add in flour, mixing until dough comes together.
- Divide dough into 2 sections and on a floured working surface roll dough to 1/3-inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out shapes of dough with your desired cutter(s) and place cookies on prepared baking sheet 1 1/2- inches apart. If you are baking in batches, keep unused dough in refrigerator until ready to use to prevent dough from getting too warm.
- Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes until edges are lightly golden. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a bowl whisk together powdered sugar, water, and corn syrup until smooth.
- Spread or pipe onto cooled cookies. You can use a drop of food coloring to achieve different colors. Allow icing to set up completely before storing.
- Store airtight at room temperature for up to 7 days. Freeze airtight for up to 30 days.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.