4th of July Fireworks Chocolate Roll Cake
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Red, white and blue food coloring
- Chocolate Roll Cake
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 egg, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/3 cup flour and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Mix well.
- Divide batter into three small bowls. Tint one bowl of batter with red food coloring, one with blue food coloring and tint last bowl with white food coloring.
- Scoop the three different batter colors into three individual plastic sandwich bags (or piping bags fitted with piping tips). Snip a small hole at tip of each bag.
- Line a rimmed 9"X12" baking sheet with a sheet of wax paper.
- Pipe firework designs as well as red, white and blue dots onto wax paper. If you need help, print out firework clip art onto a white sheet of paper, slip it under the wax paper and trace the designs.
- Place baking sheet into the freezer. Freeze for 20-30 minutes. While fireworks are freezing, make the chocolate sponge cake batter.
- In a large bowl combine egg whites and 1 tablespoon sugar. Mix on medium speed until egg whites form soft peaks. (Approx 5 minutes.)
- Whisk egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar by hand in a medium bowl until eggs yolks are a pale yellow color. Whisk 1/4 cup melted butter into egg yolks.
- Fold in egg whites. Fold in flour and cocoa powder. Mix slowly until everything is incorporated.
- Remove baking sheet from the freezer. (Remove the sheet of printed white paper if you used it to trace the fireworks.) Carefully spread chocolate batter over fireworks. Spread batter evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until done. Do not over bake. Cake should lightly spring back when touched.
- While cake is baking, prepare filling. Cream together butter and cream cheese. Carefully mix in 1 cup powdered sugar. Add vanilla and mix well. Set aside.
- Carefully remove the cooked cake from oven.
- Working quickly but carefully, lay another piece of wax paper onto a flat surface. Flip cake over onto wax paper so that fireworks are visible and carefully peel wax paper off revealing fireworks. Flip cake over again so that fireworks are on the bottom of cake.
- Spread filling over entire cake. Starting on edge without the fireworks, start to roll cake "jelly roll style". Roll until you reach the end. Place cake on a flat surface with seam down.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge until ready to serve.
Imperial Sugar Insight
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.