7-Up Pound Cake Autumn Leaves
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, soft
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lemon lime soda
- Orange, yellow, and red food coloring
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a bundt or loaf pan. Set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy.Add sugar and mix until well incorporated. Add eggs one at a time until each egg is fully incorporated and the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla and lemon and lime zest.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in dry ingredients alternately with lemon-lime soda just until combined.
- Divide batter into three bowls.Color one bowl using yellow food coloring, another orange, and another red.
- Pour each colored batter into an 18-inch disposable pastry bag or gallon size zip top bag. Snip tip off each bag. Pipe some squiggles of red batter into the pan, then layer orange and yellow over top. Continue to pipe another layer of squiggles of red, orange, and yellow batter over top. Tap pan, removing air bubbles then continue adding layers of batter. Once all batter has been piped into the pan, tap pan on counter a few more times.
- Place pan in oven and bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or a toothpick comes out clean, about 75-80 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes then remove and set on a wire cooling rack.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into slices, then use assorted leaf shaped cookie cutters to cut slices into leaves.
Recipe created for Imperial Sugar by Beth Jackson Klosterboer at Hungry Happenings.