Almond Pistachio Baklava
- 1/2 package (8 oz.) phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 1/4 cup pistachio pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Honey Syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup Imperial Sugar Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime zest, no white bitter pith
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- Thaw phyllo dough according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Set aside a 9 x13 inch pan, preferably lined with parchment paper. Leave paper hanging over edges.
- Melt butter. Add salt and vanilla; set aside.
- Chop almonds and pistachios into small pieces, add cinnamon; set aside.
- Open phyllo dough and cut crosswise in half. Place a phyllo sheet onto pan and brush with a thin coat of melted butter. Phyllo will not cover entire surface of pan.
- Add another phyllo sheet and brush again with melted butter. Repeat until you have obtained 4-5 sheets. Do not worry if some phyllo sheets tear apart, just patch them.
- Brush stack with melted butter and sprinkle with several tablespoons of chopped nuts. Press firmly.
- Cover and repeat with layering phyllo while brushing each sheet with melted butter. After 4-5 sheets, sprinkle with more nuts.
- Repeat process until all phyllo and nuts have been used.
- If using parchment, paper lift baklava sheet out of cookie pan. Cut in desired shapes using a sharp knife. Return to pan. Without using parchment paper it is best to cut inside pan.
- Place in oven and bake until golden, about 45 minutes.
- To make Honey Syrup: In a saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add citrus juice and honey. When cold add citrus zest.
- Upon removal from oven, brush baklava with syrup. Sprinkle with some additional nuts and citrus zest if desired.
- Do not wrap baklava as it would get soggy.
Imperial Sugar Insight