Almond Shortbread Tea Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup, divided Imperial Sugar Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup finely chopped almonds
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract for about 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add flour mixture and beat until well combined. Fold in almonds.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into small circles and place on prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space for minimal spreading.
- Bake for 12 minutes. The cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are. Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes.
- Fill a bowl or a paper bag with remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Toss cookies in powdered sugar while still warm. Serve fresh or store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Recipe developed for Imperial Sugar by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.